Team Captain Guide
Welcome! Thank you for joining the JDRF Revolution Ride to Defeat Diabetes, presented by Sun Life Financial! As a Team Captain, you play a critical role in ensuring that your team has a fulfilling and fun experience participating in the Ride10 challenge. Your leadership and support helps to ensure that JDRF is able to continue to fund critical diabetes research.
Our goal in 2017 is to exceed $4.2 million! We need everyone’s support to go the distance…sign-up and raise funds to move research forward for JDRF. All the tools you’ll need are available online at jdrf.ca/revolution.
The Ride Team Captain Role
Register your team online
- Remember Team Captains must register online before participants can join your team. Register online here.
- Once you are registered online send out your team link to have colleagues, family and friends join your team.
Liaise with senior executives to build management support for the Ride
- Engage your senior management to support the Ride by sending an endorsement message to all staff.
Schedule a Kick-off event
- Kick-offs are a great way to get your team together and create excitement about the Ride. This is also a great opportunity to create awareness of T1D. Reach out to your local JDRF office for tools and resources.
Plan team fundraising ideas
- Fundraising as a team can be fun and simple. Refer to fundraising tips and ideas in the Participant Centre.
Reach out to vendors and suppliers
- Reaching out to vendors and suppliers is a great way to raise funds within your network. It’s also a great way to build on the relationships your team network has.
Keep your team updated
- As a Team Captain, one of your most important roles is to keep your team updated. Keep the lines of communication open throughout the campaign on fundraising progress, upcoming team events and any event details. This will keep your team engaged and excited about the event.
Be The Revolution
The JDRF Revolution Ride to Defeat Diabetes, is a high-energy stationary cycling event taking place in cities across Canada. This event will challenge Canadians to go further to defeat diabetes.
Follow This Fundraising Timeline to Stay on Track
(April – June) Register:
- Recruit Team Captains.
- Register as a Team Captain here.
(May – June) Recruit:
- Recruit four colleagues to form your team. Assist them with registration.
- Educate yourself and your teammates on JDRF and T1D (Refer to Diabetes Facts and Figures document in the Participant Centre section at jdrf.ca/revolution).
(May – June) Attend Your Local Ride Kick-Off:
On Kick-Off Event Date:
- Attend the Ride Kick-off.
- Take away pledge forms and posters.
- Listen to top fundraisers share their best practices.
- Be inspired by a JDRF Ambassador speaking about life with T1D.
(April – September) Fundraise:
Implement fundraising ideas (see Fundraising Ideas for Success in the Participant Resource Centre)
- Use the fundraising tools at jdrf.ca/revolution and fundraise online.
- Upload your address book to your contact list on your personal fundraising page.
- Create your email message, and send out your donation request to your contacts.
- Track your progress.
- Host a joint fundraising event with teammates. Engage your network to achieve your fundraising goal.
(Ride Day) Ride:
- Today’s the day! Hand in your fundraising donations. For online funds raised, print and bring a copy of your Fundraising Summary from your Participant Centre and for any offline funds raised, bring your completed pledge forms.
- Communicate your team’s meeting place and time.
- Have fun!
- Wear a team costume (optional).
- Show your corporate colours.
(October – November) Recognize:
Recognition Event Date:
- Enjoy your success.
- Thank your team members and donors for their participation in your success.
- Host an internal event at your company to recognize everyone’s efforts.
- Attend JDRF’s Recognition Event.